Attention New & Returning Hospitals
Annual updates to our Hospital Certification Program are available as of 1/6/23. Review the Certification Navigation menu links regarding our new application and management platform, updated certification manual and guides, and resources to support certification applications and maintenance.
Note: Certified Hospital Portal will be discontinued on 2/28/23
About our program
Cribs for Kids’ National Safe Sleep Hospital Certification program recognizes hospitals and hospital systems for their commitment to infant safe sleep to reduce the risk of Sudden Unexpected Infant Death (SUID), Accidental Suffocation and Strangulation in Bed (ASSB), SIDS, and unsafe sleep injuries. The program confers a bronze, silver, and gold designation to hospitals that model and teach infant safe sleep according to current American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) best practices outlined in the Cribs for Kids Certification Manual and Hospital Certification Toolkit. Program rigor is developed according to the most current AAP evidence-based policies and consultation with medical experts from the AAP Safe Sleep Task Force.
- Any hospital caring for patients under one year of age is eligible for certification
- Using a systemwide infant safe sleep policy, system-level certification is available. This option still allows individual hospitals within the system to certify at their care level.
- U.S. Military hospitals around the world are eligible for Safe Sleep certification.
- No Fee
- 5 Year Certification
- Requires Submission of Annual Reports and Recertification Application
Achieving certification is a rewarding objective that promotes in-house and public safety, unites your healthcare team, and elevates your hospital’s reputation within the community. This success will be experienced and recognized by staff, leadership, and community members alike. Achieve your certification to distinguish your organization at a local and national level.
Follow us on social media to learn about our Certified Hospitals and all things safe sleep!
Levels of Certification
- Implement hospital or hospital system-wide Infant Safe Sleep Policy.
- Promote safe sleep education on the hospital website
- Promote hospital-wide infant safe sleep imagery
- Provide safe sleep training to staff caring for infants < 1 year
- Provide safe sleep education to family/caregivers of infant < 1 year
- (1/2024) Identify families needing a safe sleep space and provide resources
- All Bronze Requirements
- Implement Quality Improvement measures based on compliance audits
- Use AND/OR gift wearable blankets
Assign Cribs for Kids Hospital-wide Training Module to every hospital employee
- All Bronze and Silver Requirements
- Identify at-risk family/caregivers in need of infant safe sleep spaces and distribute safe sleep spaces before discharge.
- Engage in a minimum of 2 community outreach initiatives to educate the community on infant safe sleep.
Map of Certified Safe Sleep Hospitals
Note: The location finder search function displays 12 hospitals at a time.